Knee treatment at Adelaide Arthroplasty Clinic
A normal knee should bend and stretch without impingement or pain
A normal native or artificial knee joint should move freely and painlessly. A native knee is a large and complex joint that helps you to remain active throughout your life. Held together by a strong capsule and ligaments, including the cruciate and collateral ligaments, and cushioned to run smoothly by a thick articular cartilage and your lateral and medial meniscus, a normal knee joint will bend and extend with no impingement or pain. In an artificial knee the cartilage and meniscal bearing have been replaced by a metal on polyethylene bearing while the stability of the knee is provided both by the remaining functional ligaments of your knee or an inbuild constraint within the prosthesis that compensates for the damaged or attenuated native ligaments.
There are many conditions and injuries that we commonly see, and many that are not so common. As we work together as a team, you can feel confident that we’ve “seen it before” and have practiced the approaches, treatments and surgeries to get you back to normal, painless function.
We will assess your knee and discuss the best treatment options with you.
We specialise in all adult and adolescent knee conditions. Some of the knee conditions we treat include:
- Osteo and inflammatory arthritis
- Fractures and dislocations of the knee
- Tendon and Ligament injuries and instabilities, including ACL and knee cap
- Meniscal tears
- Bursitis and tendinitis
- Osteonecrosis of the Knee
- Deformity correction of leg length angulation and malrotation
- Failed and painful knee replacement including multiply revised knee replacements
Some of the procedures we perform include:
- primary knee replacement
- revision knee replacement including complex revisions of multiply revised knee, infections and with major bone defects
- osteotomies of the femur and tibia
- Ligament and meniscal reconstruction and repair
- Osteochondroplasty and mosaicplasty